Some people say it is boring to use an indoor bike, like the spinning bikes that we have. Fresh air is nice. Scenery can be beautiful. But often schedules, weather, traffic, and even a need to relax while exercising can make using such indoor equipment a good choice.
I have been surprised by how many things I have found to do while working up a good sweat on the spinning bike. I often get to more than one thing, as I frequently ride for an hour or more. I seem to always be coming up with new options for myself. I am going to share my ideas specifically, because it is often the specifics that make me think of another thing I can enjoy. I am going to go ahead and list activities that might seem obvious, too.
- watch a movie (DVD or roku on TV), English or Chinese
- scan through movies for movie night options (on Netflix or amazon)
- browse vimeo (using Roku) and youtube (on my iPad) for how-to videos about things I’m currently learning, like video editing or Chinese
- explore how to use my new phone, or any other smaller electronic gadget that I don’t often get a chance to play with, including enter more numbers
- look up things on the internet (again, on my iPad) that I’ve been needing to learn about my computer or blogging
- write articles or ideas (with paper and pen, I haven’t mastered typing while riding!)
- write to-do lists or plan schedules
- eat snacks (I always have something to drink)
- discuss studies with children still engaged in formal education
- help children problem solve job hunting, college assignments, and social options
- move my arms like dancing, but without falling off
- visit with friends and family, sometimes riding on the other bike, sometimes on the nearby couch, sometimes on the phone
- check facebook (on my iPad or iPhone) to catch up with friends
- read articles about current issues
- listen to audiobooks, both information/educational and for fun
- listen to talk radio, usually via internet
- file my nails
- daydream, sometimes with my eyes closed, although this can affect my balance
- brainstorm about projects or problem solve how to make best use of my time
- study the stock market (on my iPad)
- contemplate how my husband might make an iPad rest on the handle bars of my spin bike without interfering with where I sometimes want to put my hands!
What do you do when you are on the stationary bike, treadmill, or other similar equipment?